Friday, December 23, 2011

A Season of Love. . . and Other Magical Things

"It's the most wonderful time of the year. . ."

What do you love most about Christmas? What are your favorite Christmas traditions? What does Christmas mean to you? These are always common questions this time of year and I have been reflecting on them quite a bit the last few days. . . so I shall share...

When I was a little girl Christmas was all about what hot pink Mattel items would be under the tree with my name on them. . . at 24 Christmas is all about find meaningful, memorable gifts for the people I love.

When I was a little girl Christmas was all about being the first one up, to wake everyone else up, and be annoyed when mom and dad made me wait for coffee making, picture taking, bathroom breaking nonsense. . . at 24 Christmas is all about being the first one up, to wake every else up, and be annoyed when mom and dad make me wait for coffee making, picture taking, bathroom breaking nonsense. (Some things just never change, I guess.)

When I was a little girl Christmas Eve was all about fighting sleep, waiting for sleigh bells in the distance, and sneaking a peek at the gifts under the tree way before mommy and daddy knew I saw. . . at 24 Christmas Eve is all about church service with my family, a long, laughter filled dinner out, remembering the man who gave me the greatest woman I know, and wrapping all the gifts the men in my life effortlessly purchase, but are helpless to wrap themselves.

When I was a little girl Christmas was all about ripping through gifts and counting down until we got to go to grandma's house for the rest of the day/night. . . at 24 Christmas is all about opening gifts, watching eyes light up and tears roll down cheeks, and a big breakfast prepared by my gorgeous mom. . . and counting down until we get to go to grandma's house for the rest of the day/night.

When I was a little girl Christmas was all about packing into Daddy's truck, picking out a live tree together, and singing carols accapella on the way home. . . at 24 Christmas is all about the guys picking the perfect tree, Mommy and I decorating it, and having the fresh evergreen smell in our home for the holiday season.

When I was a little girl Christmas was all about what I was getting, not what everyone else was getting. . . at 24 Christmas is all about the joy I get from watching my loves open things they would never buy for themselves. . . and still a little about getting wonderfully thoughtful gifts for myself.

When I was a little girl Christmas was all about Grandpy telling us to "quit the damn passing and get to eating" at the dinner table, matching pajamas and pictures on the stairwell, and falling asleep on the living room floor surrounded by cousins and love. . . at 24 Christmas is all about making sure wreaths are placed at certain markers in a cemetery in Casstown, quieter, but still gorgeous and joyful, family dinners, and laughing about Christmases passed when we thought we'd have a million more all together.

When I was a little girl Christmas was all about being with my mommy, my daddy, my brother, and as many family members we could get to visit Ohio. . . at 24 Christmas is all about being with my mommy, my daddy, my brother, and as many family members we can get to visit Ohio, and when they can't make it, phone calls, text messages, and the realization that love is undeniably eternal- no matter the miles, both earth and heaven bound.

Christmas is the time of year to remember how very lucky we are for life and the opportunities we are given each and every new year. Christmas is about laughing with family, loving through indiscretions, and remembering the true reason for the season- not physical presents, but simple blessings.

Christmas has always been one of my favorite times of year and as I've grown, my reasons have fluctuated and changed (even if I still do LOVE getting presents) but this year, there are a few things I hope to remember to carry with me on the way to 2012:
Love the people around you, cherish the time you have, laugh as much as you can, tell your family how much they matter to you, and remember- today is a gift, tomorrow is never guaranteed, and if it weren't for Christ, we'd have no reason for CHRISTmas.

Christmas was, is, will always be about my family, the love I have for the people in my life, and rejoicing in the sweet victory of another day to touch a person's life.
So put your Santa hat on, believe in magic, and love the people around you. . . because there is a reason for the season. . . and He's kept you around to celebrate.

What does Christmas mean to you?

-Stephi D.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for my secret shout-out. Love it!
    My memories of Christmas past always involve baking more cookies than the neighborhood can eat. . . I haven't done that since the boys were born. I hope to get back to a scaled back version of that next year!!

    Love you,
    MUCH!

    ReplyDelete