Thursday, December 29, 2011

Positivity. . . One Post-It at a Time.

Tumblr_lbkm5njzho1qcsqcwo1_500_large


Okay, guys. . . When I sat down to do this blog my thought was that I would choose a picture of a Post-It with some sort of inspirational message on it and stem from there (hence the photo above) but this amazing thing happened: I stumbled across a website that BLEW. MY. MIND. It's called Operation Beautiful and here is their mission statement:
         
The goal of the Operation Beautiful website is to end negative self-talk or “Fat Talk.”  If this little blog only does one productive thing, I hope it helps readers realize how truly toxic negative self-talk is  — it hurts you emotionally, spiritually, and physically.


Through my own experiences fighting Fat Talk, I’ve realized the power behind an anonymous act such as Operation Beautiful.  When I post a note, I’m saying, “I CHOOSE to be positive!”


I began Operation Beautiful by leaving positive messages on the mirrors of public restrooms — at work, at the gym, at the grocery store.  I scribble down whatever comes to mind — "You are beautiful!" or "You are amazing just the way you are!"  My personal goal is to leave as many Operation Beautiful notes as I can. Maybe some people read them and just smile, but I bet some people are truly touched by the effort of a random stranger.
CIMG6166
Operation Beautiful is simple: all you need is a pen and a piece of paper.  If you want to join the mission, send me an e-mail at OperationBeautiful@gmail.com with a photograph of your Operation Beautiful note or a description of your experience, and I’ll post it on the Operation Beautiful site for thousands of others to read and enjoy!


I don't know about all of you, but this brought tears to my eyes. How many of you have had a bad day and were just waiting for someone to say a kind word, give a friendly smile, or envelope you in a hug? Anyone? Huh? ALL of you? That's what I thought. . . and I also know that on those particular days, I have had someone smile at me walking down a hallway, I have had a friend give me a big hug, and I have had a random person I've never spoken to compliment my outfit, or hair, or perfume, or something and it changed my mood for the better.


In today's time, with the heavy addiction and deep dependency on technology, texting, and e-mailing I think people begin to overlook the effect we can have on each other. . . in simple, simple ways. . . and we forget how important we are, as humans, to each other and the production of positivity in the universe.


This website, this mission statement- it makes me want to buy a packet of Post-Its in every color available and spread the words of inspiration and beauty all over the world. . . okay, all over the county, but still!


I have posted about  body image before, but it truly is not something that can be overlooked, in my opinion. . . little girls deserve to grow up hearing that they are precious and beautiful and worth it. Teenage girls deserve to grow up hearing they are strong, intelligent, and valuable. Grown women deserve to wake up hearing they are treasures, they are irreplaceable, they are loved. And this is not just females. . . little boys, teenage boys, grown men- they deserve love and they deserve to be told they're loved everyday for forever.
Life is hard, society is tough, and as human beings, we can be so mean and so discouraging to one another. The idea of changing someone's life, which in turn will change someone else's life, is not only gratifying, but unbelievably hopeful.


If I could place specific messages in specific places I would go to the restrooms of elementary schools and write things like "Your smile lights up a room," "You are precious and special," "You are made for great things," "You are wonderful," "You are beautiful, just as you are."

I would go to high school locker rooms and write things like "You are more than the clothes you wear," "Your existence is important," "Your opinions matter," "You will change the world someday," "Your 4 years here do not define your life."

I would go to public restrooms and elevators in corporate buildings and write things like "What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? Now, go do it," "Someone waits to see you everyday," "You're touching a life today, whether you know it or not," "Smile: take someone's breath away," "You're fulfilling a purpose right now."

If I could take back every mean word or thought I said three years ago, three months ago, three days ago, three hours ago, I would. . . because every negative wave I put out in the world effects someone and I don't like the residue of that feeling on my skin.


I may not be able to change the world, I may not even be able to change someone I share space with in my own house, but I can change my attitude, I can change a single, solitary moment in someone's day. . . and that is certainly starting somewhere.


I challenge you to go get some Post-Its and fun colored pens. . . carry them in your car, keep them in your purse and try to remember those days when you could've used a pick-me-up. . . and make a motion to be someone else's pick-me-up. I don't think Caitlin of Operation Beautiful could have started a more positive movement and I cannot wait to be a part of it.


While you are out posting positive messages for the world to see, remember how incredible you are. . . remember it everyday. If I could, I would post notes all over the country inspiring boys and girls and men and women, but before I can do that, I have to be able to look at myself and know I'm worth something, too. . .
I have to realize I am something much more other than fat, ugly, or undeserving. . .


If I were to leave myself a Post-It I would say this: "You are worthy. . . you are lovely. . . you deserve to be cherished."


So write yourself, and others, a Post-It. . . What do you need to say?


-Stephi D.

1 comment: